Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Gluten Free, Dairy Free, No Processed Suagr Red Velvet Cupcake

It was a bold endeavor; create a cupcake using no flour product of any kind, no processed sugar, no butter or dairy of any sort.  Basically omit the essence of what a cupcake is. 

Not just a challenge to create any cupcake, but a Red Velvet Cupcake.  Known for being super rich, utilizing a cream cheese frosting.  How do you make cream cheese frosting with no dairy?! 

The Cake:
After crawling around the web, I found a cupcake recipe using garbanzo beans.  Seemed crazy, but I thought what the hell.  The batter was runny and I thought I was doomed for failure.  The darkened during baking, and actually came out with a decent texture.



The Frosting:
The frosting proved even more challenging, but again Google came to the rescue.  How about a cream cheese frosting made from Cashews?  At this point I began questioning my sanity.  But what the hell, started soaking some cashews.

The result was interesting.... But ultimately unsuccessful.  I would definitely use more Agave nectar next time, as the cupcake was not sweet enough.

The Cashew based cream cheese frosting needs... A lot, not even sure where to start.  But alas, will return to this challenge again until it comes out right.













No comments:

Post a Comment